Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Whole Eye Thing

So the nurse and I cornered the doctor and made him tell me what's going on without any a meeting. Did he really think I was just going to sit around and wait for up to week to find out what's going on? Nuh Uh. He says the eye doctor saw some separation on her right eye that could suggest vision loss but not total blindess. He says it could have been something that was present at her birth or it could have developed over time. It's all interesting to me since B is almost blind in his right eye. The lens in his glasses for that eye are soo thick! I asked him what we would do if the MRI showed some kind problem. He said we would think about laser treatment or glasses. Can you beliiiiiiiiieve we lost sleep over this??? The doctor said it's not related to the ROP and that's still at stage 1. This is something else. If glasses are the worst thing she ends up with from being born all of 14 weeks early, well so be it. She comes from a long line of visually impaired people. :laugh:

It's funny because I've learned to trust my instincts now. For the last several weeks I have noticed when looking back at pictures that she tends to keep her right eye closed. People told me I was crazy but something kept gnawing at me to ask them to check it. Just as I was about to request that they do it, she started opening both eyes more. If you're bored, you can look at the pics I took posted in December and you will see what I'm talking about. It's only been in the past two weeks that she's started keeping that eye open more.

With that being said...please pray for baby girl. Those of you who have done MRI's know they are very umcomfortable and most babies have to be sedated to get them done. Please pray about her eyes and the fluid that still on her brain. Thankfully, that has not worsened and we don't have any bleeding.

13 weeks later and people are still praying for our girl. Thank you.

5 comments:

Dianna said...

Honey, it sounds like it could be ROP and they should have been looking at that routinely. IF that is what it is, they do laser surgery. Josh had ROP in both eyes. We take him to the pedi opthalmologist next week to see how he is doing. Another preemie mom friend from the NICU just got the news that her little man is nearsighted and will definitely need glasses. If this is all we have to worry about, I am okay with that. I will pray that it's nothing but if it is, and they catch it early the surgery is pretty routine. ::hugs::

Toya P said...

Niki, I am so very proud of you for going with your mommy instincts and not backing down. Hold on to that.
We will of course continue to pray for li'l Ms. Sydney, we know that God is able.

Janis said...

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. I'll be thinking of Sydney today and hoping the MRI goes smoothly.

Kiwi said...

Hey hun
Loving your attitude.
God is an awesome and amazingh God who had your little bundle's life planned out from the beginning of time. I think you both look cute with glasses - but I will be praying - maybe - she'll have to wait till she is 18 to get glasses!:P
Love you
- Keera

Samantha said...

WoW ! I hadn't actually read this blog! God is awesome. We have to thank Him for everything! We will be praying for you Little Syd We love you-Your family the Cowans!