Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Warning! Warning!

Reeeeeeeeeally long post ahead. 

Back when Syd was first discharged from the hospital, her pediatrician noticed that she had a hoarse cry and suggested that it could have been caused by all the tubes she once had down her throat. She thought she would end up with a hoarse voice but didn't think it was very serious. It never bothered us and since she never cried much, we didn't think too much about it. 

We started RSV shots in October and her cries got louder and more noticeable every month. The pulmonologist noticed and voiced her concern everytime she would see us. At our visit last week she recommended that we speak to the senior doctor on staff and see what he had to say. I spoke to him and he felt that a bronchoscopy was in order to check her airway, vocal chords, trachea etc.

The procedure was done today and since it involved general anaesthesia, we all (Mommy, Daddy and Grandy) went to the hospital at dark o'clock this morning. The doctor who was administering the anaesthesia told us that she also had a 26 weeker, 22 years ago and he's doing great today. She said she remembers praying that he would live after he was born and now some days she wants to strangle him herself. Lol. I bet she's not the first parent to feel that way. 

With all the activity around her, Syd was growing increasingly restless and her separation anxiety kicked into high gear. 

"I don't know who you think you are lady, but I'm just gonna hang tight to my Daddy and keep my eyes on you. "

See my fist? Don't try any funny stuff!

Don't let this face fool you. I'm still watching your every move. 
Though we weren't there for major surgery, the procedure was done in the OR, just in case of any emergency. We were all still very anxious and it didn't help when they decided to do it earlier because another surgery was cancelled and they had time. If I were still a nail biter, I wouldn't have any nails left! They gave her a sedative while we were waiting so she would be relaxed and not lose it completely when they took her away from us. It was odd watching her just settle down and eventually go to the nurse willingly. I asked the doc for some of that medicine to take home.

I kid. I kid.

45 minutes later the doctor came to see us and declared that everything went really well and he didn't have any, "Oh My God's" during the procedure. She does have some minimal scar tissue around her chords  and a slight curve in her epiglottis but nothing that should cause her any problems. In fact, he things she will outgrow the cry as her epiglottis matures. The main thing he was looking for was a hole in her trachea which could happen from being on the vent but he said her trach was, "just beautiful!" Whew! 

We went back to see her and she as a bit groggy but in good spirits. They required that she have something to drink and keep it down before they would release her. They had told me to pack her some juice but since she doesn't get juice, we took milk as well. As soon as she saw her bottle, she.lost.it. It was like she suddenly remembered that she hadn't eaten in over 13 hours. She calmed down enough to take tasted the Pedialyte but the second she tasted it she started screaming again. You would think it was acid or something! We begged them to allow her to have the milk but it was still a no go. Then it occured to me that she's used to warmed milk and maybe that was the root of her refusal to have it. The nurse warmed it and she gulped those 2oz down like her life depended on it. Apparently she would rather starve than have her milk cold. When the bottle was empty she was so not amused. Starve her and then only give her 2 oz??? Helloo!

She's not spoiled at all. *blank stare*

She was supposed to be groggy and listless for the next 24 hours but she's been tearing through the house like a Hurricane since we got home. Apart from a really long nap, she's back to her old self. 

More random pictures:
Getting ready to leave the house this morning. 
"Good Morning Mommy. Can you wait 5 minutes before you stick a camera in my face?"
These are the words above her bed/head. I love that verse. There are days that I walk into her room and it still uplifts me. 

Cheese!

If you read all of that, you deserve a gold star. :love:

4 comments:

Katie {My Paisley Apron} said...

How could I not read all that? I can't remember if I introduced myself, but I found your blog via my friend Karen's a while back. Sydney was due the same time as our son Elijah. She is absolutely amazingly adorable. I'm so glad everything went well, how stressful!

Anonymous said...

Psssht. I woulda read more had there been [plz mail the gold star]. & u were nice enough to distract with pictures

... & Happy belated to Brian [is that y we got about 30% of his body in pics this week?]

Syd never ceases to amaze and delight :D

-Auntie Trish

Dianna said...

Of course we read all of that.. now where is my gold star? Glad everything went well and she doesn't have any scarring. I am sure you were anxious just having her back in a hospital at all..... my love to you all. Sydney is the most gorgeous girl I have seen :) Arranged marriage? LOL

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything went well! Just fromt the photos, I can see Sydney has so much personality! What a cutie!

Tiffany Bolen