Thursday, April 16, 2009

A letter from a father to his daughter

My friend Janis, shared this link with me today. I am just blown away by the things this man wrote and can relate to so, so much of it. I read most of it thinking, "Does he live inside my head?" Then there were the tears. A crier, I am not but this was the most touching thing I have read in a long time and obviously it had special meaning for me.

It is a very, very long read but is so similar to our NICU experience and the things we currently believe that you MUST read it. I insist.

http://ambulancedriverfiles.blogspot.com/2009/03/love-song-for-katybeth.html

I LOVE these two paragraphs in particular:


There are people, even those who love you, who would encourage you to accept those limitations, because they also fear. They fear you being hurt, or experiencing disappointment. They mean well, and they would protect you if they could.


Don't listen to them. Don't let their fears become yours.
and


And if it seems that I push you sometimes, that I make unreasonable demands, keep in mind the promise I made. Your destiny is your own. I can't chart that path for you. But my job is to make sure you don't stop somewhere short of that destiny because you settled for less than you can be.
Inside.my.head. I tell you. 

Thank you Janis. 

2 comments:

Janis said...

:love: I thought of all of my preemie mom friends as I read it.

Lizz said...

Wow. That first paragraph really strikes a chord.