Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Things that are not ok...

Random strangers touching babies! Ugh! I never knew maternal instinct/rage could be so strong but everyday I'm shocked at how riled up I can get in defense of my daughter. A few days ago we were waking around the store and I was wearing Sydney in my baby carrier. The one I have looks like this one and it is FANTASTIC!

Sydney is so comfy and snuggled in it and we don't have to always lug the stroller around when we go out. It's been really, really nice. Anyway, it's not as easy for people to get close to her as they would if she were in a stroller but a woman (who clearly lost her mind) managed to do so. The first thing she did when she approached was to touch my child on her cheek. Exqueeeeeze me?!?!?! I don't know you! We really haven't been too anal about the germ thing but we definitely don't want people we don't know touching her. I started to move away and she managed to touch her on her arm, again. It took everything I had in me to not hit her! I don't know you! I don't know where your hands have been and could not have made it any harder for you to touch her, except wrap her in a sheet. Thank God for Jesus. Grandy saw the whole thing go down and I think she was gonna knock out the woman too. We wiped her off and I spent the rest of the day avoiding situations where anyone could try that again.

Brian was not amused when I told him about it and proceeded to wipe her all over again himself. :laugh:

It is NEVER ok to touch someone unless you know for certain it is ok with them. I think I've calmed down now...

5 comments:

Kiwi said...

WOW!!
LOL...ok - so my initial response was to laugh at your outrage!
Now I can be outraged myself and apologize to all the mothers whose babies I have indeed touched!
What can I say babies are touchable! :(
In my defense though - i think they were all friends or acquaintances and other people were touching them too... eek!

I totaaaaally see though why, especially in Sydney's case it would not be ok to be touch touching her!
eek!

Anonymous said...

Been there...done that...wife exploded on one lady in a book store once!

Jayan said...

STRANGER DANGER!!! You shouldn't go around touching babies when you don't know them. But when it's a preemie oh Lord look out for that mom. I went over to my best friends house and had Jay with me she had another friend over and she reached to touch Jay and I screamed PLEASE DON'T TOUCH MY SON!!!! Trust me your raction was 100% normal in my books.

Dianna said...

You would think that if she was in the sling that no one would attempt to touch her. People should not touch babies. I don't care if they are preemies or not. You can't tell if a baby is a preemie. Darn it, I know people just think they are so darned adorable but you have the right to say.. please don't touch her. It's not rude. I have said it and I will say it again!

Toya P said...

Oh My Goodness, I cannot STAND when people do that. I had LJ in a sling once in the grocery story and a woman came up to us and said, "He so precious, lemmie give him a kiss!" I almost smacked that little old lady. To me, touching my little ones is right up there with a stranger rubbing my pregnant belly as if I am a magic lamp or something grrrrrr!
Anyway, I feel your pain Niki. I really do.