Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jesus Take The Wheel

My apologies for the delay in posting that update I promised but the past few days have been very challenging in our house. Our issues with Sydney's gag reflex have worsened and I spend pretty much all day trying to prevent her from gagging on her hands and puking. She loooves to suck her hands even when her teeth aren't bothering her and if she does it for prolonged periods, puking is inevitable. The socks/gloves worked for a bit but she has now figured out how to get her hand in her mouth even when she's wearing them. She doesn't gag as quickly with the socks on but it still happens. She has also figured out how to take the socks off. The kid is a genius. A genius who is so used to puking, she's not motivated to stop.

When she takes a nap, I still have be upstairs because I never know if she's going to sleep for 10 minutes or an hour and as soon as she's fully awake, the sucking starts and I try to not let her spit up when she's lying on her back. This morning I put her on her mat so I could make a few calls and she puked twice in 10 minutes and once while I was holding her but distracted because her doctor called me back. The amazing thing is that she's now sleeping through the night (9:30p.m.-7a.m.) and while she does suck her hands during the night, she does not spit-up. I think it may be because she doesn't fully wake up so the sucking isn't as forceful.

In some ways it's worse than the reflux because we were pretty sure that if we held her upright for 2 hours after a meal, she wouldn't spit up. The gagging can happen at any time. She's 95% over the reflux now and I have not given her any medicine for it in almost two weeks so we're happy about that. It's very frustrating seeing her struggle with this and know there's very little I can do about it. She does gag when I feed her one meal of solids per day but I dance/act like a circus monkey, it distracts her long enough to suppress it. If I allow her to suck her hand after she eats, she pukes and then is immediately hungry. It means I'm constantly feeding her if I let her out of my sight for 5 minutes. Once she gets her hands in her mouth, there's no stopping it. It's a catch 22 because I want her to use her hands and play with her toys and get used to different textures and things but she likes to play with one hand and suck the other. :sigh:
Anyway, please keep her in your prayers. We really appreciate it.

No comments: