Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Resurrection

Today was one of those days. You know those days where you start to question everything and your mind can lead you to dark and questionable places. I had one of those days.

Then I stumbled across this blog and it just gave me a whole new perspective. The author of the blog is Angie Smith and she is the wife of Todd Smith, the lead singer of the Christian music group, Selah. If you're a Christian, trust me, you know Selah's music and have probably sung their songs in your church. Angie gave birth to their 4th daughter in April and due to many complications, the baby passed away two hours after birth.

That's heartbreaking enough, right? There's more.

Todd's sister is Nicol Sponberg, another Christian music artist who happens to sing one of my favourite songs of all time. Nicol gave birth to her second child Luke back in March and he passed away in his sleep (completely unexpectedly) when he was 10 weeks old. This family suffered the loss of two newborns in 7 weeks. Nicol sang at Audrey's funeral while holding Luke, having no clue just how precious that moment was.

It made me refocus and think about all the things I need to be thankful for and all the things I need to let go. My daughter is healthy, happy and developing and just who am I to wallow in small things? She's usually in bed by 9:30 but I let her sleep on me until 10:30 tonight. I just felt compelled to keep her close to me a little longer. Of course, I don't want to suggest that my feelings aren't valid because someone might be dealing with something worse but it's nice to gain a little perspective too. It gives me something else to pray about and I can keep the focus off my momentary failings or troubles.

Nicol's song is Resurrection. It's a song that Brian actually introduced to me and it's ministered to us through many waves and storms.



Resurrection
Nicol Sponberg

I'm at a loss for words, there's nothing to say
I sit in silence wondering what led me to this place
How did my heart become so lifeless and cold
Where did the passion go?

When all my efforts seem like chasing wind
I've used up all my strength and there's nothing left to give
I've lost the feeling and I'm down to the core
I can't fake it anymore.

chorus:
Here I am at the end I'm in need of resurrection
Only You can take this empty shell and raise it from the dead
What I've lost to the world what seems far beyond redemption
You can take the pieces in Your hand and make me whole again, again

You speak and all creation falls to its knees
You raise Your hand and calm the waves of the raging sea
You have a way of turning winter to spring
Make something beautiful out of all this suffering

chorus 2:
Here I am once again I'm in need of resurrection
Only You can take this empty shell and raise it from the dead
What I've lost to the world what seems far beyond redemption
You can take the pieces in Your hand and make me whole again, again

You have a way of turning winter to spring
Make something beautiful out of all this suffering

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Beautiful post! Beautiful song!